Thursday, August 26, 2010

And then the Batroom flooded.

All seems peaceful when I went to put on a bit of makeup and fluff my hair before going out to run errands. Then I hear a strange noise and feel dampness on my bare feet. A shut off valve under the sink has broken and the carpet is rapidly soaking. I ran to get Robert. He got it partly shut off but it was in a tight place he couldn't get to. We called Mr Rooter and the nicest guy came right over and went to work. After some discussion we decided to change all the valves in the house. There are eight,. $500.00 worth of repairs in a few hours. It seemed the thing to do. Then the real work began, getting carpet up and dried, the pad dried . Much moving, tugging etc for Robert with his bad back. Two days worth of aggression and misery. Robert said carpet should be outlawed in a bathroom and tried to talk me into tile. Still the bathroom is large and the carpet flows from the master bedroom so I could only imagine that it would look strange. It's enough to make one think they might like to live in an apartment where such crisis's are someone Else's problem.

Well, it is about back to normal after two days and nights, and I realize once more how much I depend on living a very organized life. Thank Goodness for Robert. He hates for me to hire anyone else as they don't do a perfect job like he does and he has to do it over. This is true. He is a perfectionist, in spite of a little mumbling and grumbling, I can count on it being very well done at the end, so I am grateful. A home is a big responsibility. Still I enjoy it and the big yard with so much peace and quiet. I doubt I will be moving until I go the big subdivision in the sky.





4 comments:

  1. When a crisis hits we all like to think of another better place we might live. A disgruntled new tenant was telling me this morning all the reasons why he didn't like this place and was going to leave. I said well you can't fault the residents for attitude problems when you got one yourself. He admitted he did. (big time) I think you are doing very well with your residency in a beautiful house built by your son, Terry, so how could you leave it, and with a resident son to help with repairs. I am waiting for my computer son Dan right now to return to Phoenix. I don't trust anybody to do my work but him besides he charges less!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, It is too bad the computer went caput while Dan was gone. But of course he will be back to take car of you as soon as he takes cre of theater. That boy is in demand.By Raymond's blog I understand he provides fun and laughter with his service too. Aren't we lucky the lucky ones?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's exactly what I feared would happen to me all winter. I'm so glad we don't have to dig in the snow. Now if things don't work, the house is to blame! You could get rid of carpet now tile is the rage. What is more elegant than tile matching carpet...or carpet matching tile. Jason put in a lot of bathroom tile...the ones I saw looked great. You might think about it. I am! It only took me 20 years to get it in the shower..is that how long we've been here? No, 30. I guess you might not live that long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you got plumbing problems it's good to find a helpful plumber. I see all kinds of plumbing truck here with very poetic name, like HAPPY PIPES or O Gradey's Shamrock Plumbing. He has an antique van for wheels painted with many shamrocks. Another one has an grafitti painted truck. I am sure these old pipes in S.F. need extra help.

    ReplyDelete