Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Mason and Clifford the Big Red Dog


Gerry inspired me to go back to my Grandson's young days. When he was a baby the Churchman's (His maternal Grand parents) always bought him very expensive presents. I decided right away I wasn't going to get into a competition over the gift giving. Still I wanted to give something thoughtful and memorable.

Fortuitously, when Mason visited me when he was about 18 months, I got some Clifford books to read to him. He laughed so hard at the antics of the big red dog that his contagious laughter had my sister Melba, and I in stitches. From then on he always requested Clifford books when he visited. This of course inspired me to buy the first stuffed dog. He was so pleased I kept adding to the collection until he had every size possible. He loved them so much that whenever a trip was planned a couple of the small dogs had to be the first thing in his suit case. They were never far from him. Especially at nap time, as you can see. When he was a teenager Randy sneaked in and got the grown up picture. He warned me to never let Mason know he had given this to me. However I was so struck by the continued innocent expresson on his face that I framed them together and set them on my night stand. As luck would have it Mason visited, and walked directly to my bedroom and saw the picture. he didn't act to embarrassed or angry so this was good. It was some years before he agreed to give up his Clifford collection. I hope some little boy got it and loves them as much as Mason did. Oh yes, Mason is a big dog lover. He did his stint working in a dogie day ccare. Of course he adopted a big old dog named Gus who has a lame leg. He could not have found a better home. I, of course felt I had batted a home run with this kid.

2 comments:

  1. You have some very handsome grandson's, even asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, of course I like these photos. The memory photos become more precious every year. Our handsome and beautiful grandchildren are one of our biggest rewards growing old, how they mature, what they said, and how they looked. Mason was an adorable child, but so are your great grandchildren, Trevor and Bryan. As are mine!

    ReplyDelete