Friday, July 16, 2010

Reading My Niece Pat's writing about brother Roger.

My nephew Roger drowned in Flaming Gorge in 1985. His body was not found until two years later. He was only 41 so it was very tragic for our whole family. His sister Patsy has been very ill . she is finally recovering enough that I can tal with her. She asked me if I had ever read what she had written. I hadn't and asked for a copy. It came today and I sat right down to read. She had choosen a unique way to tell his story by writing him a letter on each of his birthdays. expressing the feelings she had for him as a brother. She paid tribute to his many great qualities and expressed her sorry at losing him so soon. Also she thanked him in each of her letters for being such an important part of her life. It6 was very beautifully written and I think his children and grand children will find it a great treasure.

She ended with this quote I like.

"A symbol of hope a butter fly lights beside us like a sunbeam. And for a brief moment it's glory and beauty belong to our world,but then it flys again and though we wish it could have stayed ,we feel lucky to have seen it."

3 comments:

  1. When young men die in what seems like a senseless accident, many are left to mourn for years. You can say the same for women, too, as sister LaRae was gone when only a few years older. But I find the closer I get to that same departure the less sorrow I feel and the more anticipated joy at a reuniting. I hope that thought will comfort your niece Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it probably will. She and Roger were so close and she has missed him so. I'm glad it looks like she will live a few more years though. She recovered from the heart attack enough to have a hip replacement,and uis moving right along from that. Thank you for your comment. It made me feel better,thinking of my son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both were gone too young..Terry and Roger.
    This is a touching tribute. It's always sad when someone goes too soon. I think of Terry and all Marion's family that died too young.

    ReplyDelete