Friday, October 30, 2009

The perfect trip

My Colorado kids had sent me a ticket to come visit them. I hadn't paid much attention to the details except for the days and airport times. When I got to the airport I had the nice surprise of finding it was a first class ticket. It was a beautiful day and we were flying at 45000 ft but still below the clouds so I could see the desert and mountains all the way. It was delightful. The Colorado Rockies were covered with snow and I didn't know I could be so happy to see snow covered peaks, as it had been a long time since I had been there when this was the case.

I was thrilled to see Randy and Lucinda waiting at the baggage claim. Randy sometimes can't bring himself to leave work if he is in the midst of a heavy duty project which is most of the time. At their home I was warmly greeted by my grandson, Mason, and the three dogs. Sydney who is old and very plump, Gus who is a gangly looking lab with a lame leg and my favorite Cadillac who is a smaller black lab and extremely sweet. They all acted like they still remembered me. Everyone then gave me the tour of their newly up dated home. It is beautiful with all the latest and greatest things on the market. This includes a tremendously relaxing steam room which I quickly stripped down and enjoyed for twenty minutes. In the meantime Lucinda had cooked what could only be termed a five star gourmet meal.

The next day I wanted to walk Pearl street which has been a tradition ever since they have livied in Colorado. Big fat snowflakes were falling so it looked just like a Cristmas card. Later Lucinda helped me shop at my favorite place of Coldwatert Creek. There I was able to find a couple of festive tops to wear for the holidays. We managed to sit around and do lots of talking. The atmosphere of their home is always very pleasant with candles galore, classical music and low fire burning in the fireplace. I hardly lifted a finger excet to make home made noodles one night for dinner. They have a new bread maker that is about ten times better than the ones we all dashed out to buy when they first came out. Therefore either Lucinda or Randy made a loaf of fresh crusty bread every day.

Our Mason was in good spirits, and teased us all about our excentric ways. It is a new generation of people coming on line. He is very smart and cute though, if I do say so, as his grandmother with a few biased opinons.

When I left it was another beautiful day, sunny and warm. I admit to having a few tears roll down my cheeks, knowing it was probably the last time I would be traveling to beautiful Boulder Colorado. They are having a huge snowstorm now and I was glad I slipped in and out before this happened. Haappy Halloween to all.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a beautiful trip. Every trip we can still make is to the good. Maybe wondering if is the last one makes it all the sweeter. Glad you were able to take it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think as we age we do appreciate more the fact that we got to do it 'one more time.' There are a great deal of uncertaintoes ion life and we have to think a lot about our past in order to figure out how we will handle the future and the various possibilities. Do hope you find your renal problem is a small insignificant happening.

    ReplyDelete