Monday, November 2, 2009

Thoughts on Gay Friends.

When I was in Colorado Lucinda was joking how she really needed a gay guy friend to help her decorate and buy the beautiful things only they can spot and appreciate properly.(She does a darn good job herself.) Randy hates that stuff so just goes along and pays for all the 'stuff'. It started me thinking about the fact that I have always had a gay friend that I enjoyed very much. I thought about how this could be, and why. When I became a Boulderite dear Richard kept me from being too bored and going crazy while husband was working twelve hours per day. We hiked, we played scrabble and he even tried to teach me to play piano although I'm sure he could tell from the beginning it was a hopeless task. His story telling ability made every happening in town down right funny. I tried to make friends with Kiven but that was in defence as I didn't want him to be seducing my boys. He was a good story teller too and of course all the kids in town were quite fascinated with that. The only fun I had with him was dancing. He was a good dancer.

Then in Phoenix I met Roger, the interior decorater for both Design Master and Excecutive Homes. I only saw him a couple of times per year when he came to decorate models, as he lived in Florida. He was so funny, he could crack anyone up. I loved funny. He wrote very funny letters to my friend Sonney which she shared with me. We of course would elaborate on what ever he said and laugh harder. For a few years after I retired I didn't have any gay friends. Then I joined a scrabble group and I'll be darned if there was not a very charming gay guy who is a champion scrabble player. I quickly made friends with him. Now in the Winter of my life I think the best thing about having a gay friend is that they love and respect old women. Let's hear it for these inveterate charmers.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting entry. I have a lot of thoughts on this, especially since the Halloween party, but I will have to keep them to myself until I see how the wind is blowing. Sometimes it gets a little hard to handle gay friends if not everyone around you is in agreement. And there is a crowd and unexpected clashes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very true. Since most of the scrabble crowd are liberal,(in a quit sort of way, and every gay friend I have had has been very open it is much better than the ones who are afraid to tell about their life style. I'm about done with Steve,s book and found myself wonder what is true. It was very well written but some scenes seemed like too much information. I recogni his brilliant mind and wish him well. Hope he is happier now and in the future than he was in his past.I'll be sending to Cheryl soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting three entries since I checked on you. I have been caught up in Dog Trauma and driving to Hidden Lake, so I hadn't caught up. I love that Halloween picture. My word, but you do look spooky! Enjoyed reading your entry on visiting Randy and family. This one is quite fascinating. I think Steve is pretty factual...and is willing to write what many wouldn't. He was very nervous about this book...the one I read when he was in high school was about his trauma in the locker room, which I didn't realize was true until years later. I don't think it's an easy life to be gay.

    ReplyDelete